The Pattern Challenge

Pattern is something I've always been obsessed with, but oddly enough I NEVER draw it! I find myself strongly drawn to it when I shop for clothing and home textiles, and back in college working on my Senior Thesis I developed a love for Henna art. This week I've dedicated my sketchbook to practicing and exploring nothing but pattern styles and techniques.
I loved working on this floral pattern. It's probably my favorite with the Henna coming in at a close second.

Even though these took some time, the detail work is so worth it in the end. They remind me of little intricate lace designs. 
The tribal patterns were a lot of fun. I have plans for a project in the future using this style,
possibly some wood involved :)  
I really didn't enjoy Zentagle patterns. It felt too repetitive and not very rewarding for me in the end. I slacked a little on this one. 
Some things I've learned about myself this week:

I'm so messy! - I kind of already knew this one, but I have difficulty drawing slow and steady, it's such a challenge for me! My graphic design work differs greatly from my illustration work style. In design, I tend to pay attention to small details and color variances, and am very clean and organized with my process. But, with my typical illustration style I completely lose all care for cleanliness and perfection! Everything is very loose and quick with my sketches, some only taking 5 mins top to create.

It's all the same - I can obviously see a great difference in the styles I've mimicked here, but look closely and it's all the exact same elements - circles, dots, flower and leaf shapes, lines. I'm actually pretty amazed at how the difference in application of just these few elements can look so, well... different! It's such a basic concept, I know, but it's just awakening in me again.

New control - I can tell that I have more control of the pen. I know it sounds strange, but I feel like after a few days of retraining my brain and hand how to work together in a different kind of way has improved some of my skills.

Dang, I need new supplies! - I'm really starting to learn that I need some better art supplies! It's been so long since I've bought anything new, and I've been relying on what's laying around the office (which is why the Sticky Note Project happened). My Pilot pen and freebie pen have been great to me, but they need some new company.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

View My Story

Popular Posts

The SHOP

I'm on Instagram!

Instagram

Follow Me on Facebook!

Follow Me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin