Water and Ink Challenge

A sketchbook is made for exploring ideas, techniques, colors - or just to let go and not feel tied down to something complete. I like that whatever I'm drawing can just "morph" into something else as I go along. Or, just flat out stop! If I'm not feeling the sketch concept I'm working on, I just stop. I have lots of unfinished drawings that I sometimes come back to and sometimes not. I'm also always looking for easy techniques that don't take up lots of time or need much supplies. My sketchbook travels with me everywhere, and I'm already known as the "bag lady" at work, so I don't need another for supplies!

I recently read an article about limiting your artist tools - the whole "less is more" concept in order to challenge your skills and make you think a little more creatively. This week I've decided to challenge myself to using just two tools: cheapo pens and my water brush. The challenge was finding a pen that would actually bleed! I dug through my desk and pulled out 5 pens. The best brand was Pentel, they leave a dark, black wet ink that works beautifully as a wash when moistened. I just sketched as usual and then let loose experimenting with pulling the ink in different directions to create a some contrast. If you don't have a water brush you could always use a regular brush and water, but the water brush is just so dang handy!
©2014 Jessica Twilbeck

©2014 Jessica Twilbeck

©2014 Jessica Twilbeck

©2014 Jessica Twilbeck

©2014 Jessica Twilbeck
Don't forget to download November's FREE desktop wallpaper before it's too late!

If you've been enjoying these posts, please follow The Pen & Ink Project on facebook and share the love with friends.

2 comments:

  1. I love these with the ink and water brush!!! They look awesome! You always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete

 

View My Story

Popular Posts

The SHOP

I'm on Instagram!

Instagram

Follow Me on Facebook!

Follow Me on Bloglovin!

Follow on Bloglovin